Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Fences

    Psychological fences do not have a definite definition nor will it be defined. Metaphorically, they represent a barrier to keep dangers out and values in. However, fences are not limited to physical objects or distinct objects. They can be built around values, morals, traits, and even beliefs. I believe everyone builds fences around themselves. Fences are built when people have social interactions with one another and "outsiders" as I shall call them, subconsciously influence us to create these fences. Everyone has some kind of fence to protect themselves; it is just a matter of whether you acknowledge your own personal fences. I believe all fences have a specific basis that contribute to other fences: morals, beliefs, and values.
    These three things are the basis for opinions, actions, and social interactions. Everything we do revolve around these three things. The moral fence keeps out the immoral subjects and the valuable morals in. Common things such as hurting others are considered outside of this fence, but outsiders may influence one to let things into their fences. Beliefs include, but not limited to, religion but we all believe in something. It is how we continue tolerating the pressures of life and society. Values come in wide range of things but knowing your values well is considered mature. I believe that is what separates a immature person and a mature person. These three things subconsciously contribute to everything we do.
   Fences are a subconscious barrier that we reinforce every now and then. The things that you choose to let in and keep out are influenced by these three things and outsiders. Letting someone into your fences means you trust them with everything. You expect them to do things that will help you. Normally, I have my fences up, impervious of outsiders and their influence. Recently, I let someone in. They made me laugh. Happy. I was content with my life - I felt like I had everything in the world. Then they destroyed me inside out. They tore down everything I have built in my 17 years. It hurt. These past couple years. wrecked. Normally, I would just laugh. "What a boondoggle!"
   It really hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment